Phase II ESA, Risk-Based Closure
The 11-acre site operated as a plywood mill from 1959 until 1988 and was being purchased for redevelopment by a large manufacturing company.
AGI's investigation included the completion of a geophysical survey to identify the locations of dry wells and potential underground storage tanks (USTs), and the completion of numerous direct-push borings for the collection of soil and groundwater samples to assess the site for other potential contaminants from the past operation of the mill. Surface water and sediment samples were also collected from the fire suppression pond.
Contaminants were detected in the groundwater near the former sump, dry well and rock-filled overflow pit and in water samples collected in surface water and groundwater within and around the fire suppression pond. Arsenic-contaminated soil was removed from the fire suppression pond and landfilled. A plume of halogenated volatile organic compounds (HVOCs) was identified in the groundwater. Additional sampling identified the approximate boundaries of the groundwater contaminant plume.
No risks were identified that would negatively impact the proposed future property use and the property development was able to proceed as planned. The site was enrolled in Oregon Department of Environmental Quality's Voluntary Cleanup Program and received a No Further Action (NFA) letter in September 2014.